four tune telling

                    I consider myself very lucky in life to be in this position at my age, my plan to do the Cape Wrath Ultra at the end of May is seems to be reasonably on target, even for someone as disorganized as me this requires a fair bit of planning, an event of this size requires months of planning, I have never been known in the past been to do all the British military’s 7 P`s (proper prior planning prevents piss poor performance) I am more known to rock up on the day disheveled after a late night and get by while complaining about what I’ve forgotten to pack or do, you cannot do an event like this with that attitude!
I have been trying to structure a plan for months now this is now march I have just over 80 days to go until the start line and I’ve been planning since June last year, sometimes well focused sometimes falling behind
there is many phases to the planning - training-equipment- nutrition - holidays from work - staying injury free - all of these I will touch on more in the following blogs, this blog is basically to highlight that i had a plan had structure it changes and develops all the time,
     
I bought a student’s wall organiser august 2019 to august 2020 marked up the big week on it in may then started adding in holidays fights to and from work and any proposed events, this was a great idea and one I wish I had been better focused on
Working away from home makes planning harder, there is events I wanted to enter but was working, travelling to and from work also makes finding time to train on those days difficult, there would need to be compromises and sacrifices over the year 
I had only ever previously trained/planned for marathon distance, which i had a twelve week training plan i had used plenty times previously that always worked i wanted to adapt this pre-made proven plan to suit eight days of more than marathon distance, which wasn't easy
I got in touch with big Sneds me and him had been training partners for years we were supposed to run the marathon des sables (MDS) together four years ago then he pulled out, I didn’t want to do it alone so cancelled my space, Sneds then asked me the next again year but by that time I was more focused on my cycling and saving to pay my mortgage off, he entered it alone and completed it in 2019, by that time anyway I had decided the desert wasn’t for me, I would rather run in Scotland the CWU being my goal,  of course Sneds did come round and we had a long chat about training goals but there’s huge differences between the MDS and the CWU, he was/is much more focused in his training than I could be, we ended up talking about stuff we had done together which is a lot we have had some great adventures over the years, I always say the best piece of training equipment you can get is a good training partner and Sneds was a great training partner sadly no longer running,

The rough plan was (way back almost a year ago) to build up a weekly mileage of around thirty miles to forty miles a week six months before, then fifty by five months then to be doing one hundred to a hundred and fifty miles a week three months before with some back to back hard days thrown in occasionally, some yoga mixed training of terrains speeds and equipment, as of writing early march this did not happen the plan has failed so far not totally I am not seriously behind and still doing ok? BUT at this time I am training towards just getting to that end line I will be taking it extremely easy on the shorter days of the event, slow and steady will need to be the order of the day on the long hard days, fail to plan and you plan to fail! If plan A fails get a plan B - now I will be relying more on my hiking fitness than running fitness on the harder sections of the route


fast forward three years sneds sadly died of his cancer after the MDS my planning and schedule is now much worse than it was in 2020,i am at the most unfit ive been in ten years but going for the CWU this year with even less of a plan! i was defo reaady in 2020 bloody pandemic, my life should have moved on beyond this i have no training partner now, i have joined polmont joggers but thats a social group that does running lol, nice people i enjoy it, i have also joined the green runners since then due to my environmentaL activities, hopefully that community will grow

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Side topic of TGR - Skamper fun

thirteen unlucky for some

one day i will do a big run