twoday! I feel healthy



             With the CWUltra on the horizon and me upping my training, I wanted to give myself a health check, for the past couple of years if I kneeled down compressing my legs for any length of time. as soon as I stood up I got dizzy, I have always put this down to being fit and having a slow resting heart rate with low`ish blood pressure, I felt it would be wise though just to get this checked as its had been getting worse as I had increased my training, I made an appointment with my works site medic Gary, just to check how low my blood pressure was


                Gary was glad to help when I explained the dizziness and gave me a very thorough examination, first off he checked my pulse with both A manual watch check and also the finger clip electronic device which also checks oxygen in blood. As suspected my resting heart rate was slow 48 which is what’s to be expected for someone who is fit regardless that I am 52 year old, the oxygen level was 99% which Gary said is superb it never hits 100 and is rarely as high as mine this is indicative of good lung function. Next he had a listen to my heart with the stethoscope and although slow sounded ok, then he said he would  like to do an ECG,


                Once the results were on the screen he went for the print out and was away ages he came back with some spikes on the graph circled! and I was told he had a concern with my heart being slow and a slight lag on one of the heart chambers (OMG) apparently nothing to worry about but something I should probably get investigated, he said I should phone my GP for an appointment as I may have right bundle branch block (RBBB) which is a heart condition !linked to low blood pressure,


            Off course I checked with google(as we all would) and of all the heart concerns it’s not such a bad one, A Bundle branch block is a condition in which there's a delay or blockage along the pathway that electrical impulses travel to make your heart beat. ... The delay or blockage can occur on the pathway that sends electrical impulses either to the left or the right side of the bottom chambers(ventricles) of your heart


                This sent my mind racing because I have a good knowledge of such things the electrical pulses and cramping etc.  A good number of years ago now I addressed my salt intake as a Scotsman growing up where I did there was far far too much salt in everything my family and community consumed, this was leading to people having high blood pressure heart conditions and strokes, I addressed my intake at an early age, I have taken no added salt in my diet for around twenty year, I do not even have any table salt in my home, I don’t buy packet things or ready meals and never buy bread on occasion maybe once every three months I will have a fish supper from the chippy that has added salt, apart from that I get my salt from my food I eat plenty fish but rarely eat crap like sausages or burgers, I must get salt from what hotels restaurabts and canteen cooks add to their cooking, I spend more than half my life in hotels, as A fitness enthusiast I am highly aware of the need for hydrolytes to stop cramps and keep the electronic signals over the muscles working while in a dehydrated state, so I do take the occasional hydrolyte( these days vegan ones from plants) but only if I am running more than fourteen miles that day,   


                I read an article about RBBB on the net and it was a case study of a 21year old American student who discovered he had it and was prescribes salt by his cardiologist he took the salt additives for a year his blood pressure came up and the RBBB was gone! Perhaps what I thought was a healthy low salt diet has bit me on the bum and it’s time to reintroduce salt to my diet?


                Once at my own GP I showed him the write up I had made and a copy of the ECG Gary had done, he was extremely helpful and reassuring and sent me off with a form to go to the hospital to speak with a cardiologist, the cardiologist was surprised a doctor would refer me if it was just a RBB as cardiologists consider this nothing to worry about, sure enough the second ECG showed I have one but its right on the border of where it is pronounced yes or no a borderline right bundle blockage apparently! She said I should not increase my salt intake and the doctor also agreed with this on a follow up consultation so it’s all systems go again, I’m as fit as a fiddle even with all my other things that are falling apart
        I was still on to run on an 8 day expedition race weaving through 400km of the remotest Scottish highlands 24-31 May 2020. I signed up for this even though I had concerns my body may not be fit for the task,

this blog like the others up untill blo nine is now three years old, much has happened in those three years! i have changed and so has the world but i am still healthy and running and hoping that this year 2023 i will finally get this cape wrath ultra done

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Side topic of TGR - Skamper fun

thirteen unlucky for some

one day i will do a big run